Wedding Countdown and Keeping Sane at the same Time
I’ve been off the radar with illustration work as it’s been pretty intense these past couple of weeks. I feel as though I don’t have the time and energy to make any pieces of work as the countdown to the wedding is coming thick and fast. Um, 5 weeks guys. 5 WEEKS!
I have enjoyed every bit of the journey since we started planning it out almost a year ago. But. And there is a but coming. But it’s been pretty bloody stressful at the same time. My friend did say that it’s quite common to get wedding blues about it, as in, it’s not all rosy/ Pinterest filtered dreams. The nitty gritty bits of it all come rolling in at once. So, this post is about keeping the momento going whilst looking after your mental and emotional wellbeing at the same time. After all, this is one of the biggest shifts and life changing moments in your life so trust me you’ll get there- just take it day by day.
- I suppose Sam and I have learnt that you can’t please everyone. Well, we knew that from the start but it’s easier saying it than accepting it completely and moving on. The food has been a mega curve ball as not everyone likes the food you like- obvs. At the end of the day it’s our day so, yes, accepting that some people may not like it BUT at the same time being mindful about what we want. I said to Sam if people don’t like the food they could always nip down to Green Lanes for a kebab and come back. Yes, I actually said that and I mean it. Guests, we love you all to bits but please try and remember Sam and I aren’t running a restaurant so if you don’t like fish or garlic, well that’s YOUR choice though isn’t it? Also, how can anyone not like garlic??!!!
- Divvy up the task to other people and ask for help. I’m the type of person who finds it really difficult asking for help, but when that times come and you need people to make loads of paper flowers with you just got to ask for help. It also takes that extra pressure from you and the whole process should be an enjoyable one too.
- I try and limit my time on social media looking at wedding images as I’ve found that I got completely bogged down by it and it was really unhealthy. If course, it’s great to get inspiration or look up DIY tips to make something. But it’s hard to get away from it as it’s so easily to access it 24/7.
- There are about a gazillion one things to do and keeping on top of it all can bee mega overwhelming. We’ve got a spreadsheet and list of what we need to do so that’s been great in keeping track of everything. Can’t stress enough to spend some time and get everything down. There’ll be things you’ll need to add along the way but the spreadsheet has been absolutely fantastic.
- You need a break from wedmin so do all the things you love to do like cooking, watching a film, going for a walk, stroking a cat (works for me), eating nice food etc. Don’t feel like you need to be doing wedding things everyday otherwise you’ll get bogged down about it.
If you have any wedding tips to share please post them in the comment section below. I’d love to hear from you!
Thanks for reading as always and, yes, 5 weeks to go now!